The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises three staff accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities for three entities. The Accounting Manager will have contact with senior-level Executive’s and the VP of Finance which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain and Administer the DPS accounting system
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Prepare and record Capitalized Development activities and amortization
- Prepare and record Journal Entries
- Prepare month end analysis of Balance Sheet accounts
- Analyze reports to ensure accuracy and recording of all revenues and expenses
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Tax activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the VP of Finance regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the VP of Finance to ensure a clean and timely year end audit.
- Supervise the accounting group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Assist VP of Finance with the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Assist VP of Finance with the preparation of Board Materials
- Support VP of Finance with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting or 5 years’ experience in similar role, CPA preferred
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Five to seven years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
We recognize that talented people are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay, comprehensive benefits packages, and outstanding advancement opportunities. For this reason, we offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan that includes the following:
- 401K and Company match
- Medical coverage
- Dental coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Paid time-off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Work/Life resources
- Employee life insurance
- Disability insurance